Saturday, September 1, 2012

First Week of School

After completing the first week of school, things in the fifth grade are going great.  We are learning procedures for things that will soon become routines.  I appreciate the students being so responsible about bringing back their signed paperwork and having a book to read in the classroom and at home.  This week there is no written assignment for the home reading log, but I will expect the students to write a brief (3 sentences or less) summary of their reading starting next week.  I will also ask that a parent sign or initial that your child read the amount of time recorded on the reading log.    

Drinks and snacks are important during these long, hot days.  Be sure your child's water bottle is full each day and clearly labeled.

The students were issued their chrome books this week.  Talk about excited - it felt like Christmas to get those chrome books!  They are demonstrating good care of the chrome books in the classroom.

Please enjoy the home journals.  I am so excited about this project this year.  Be sure to read more of my thoughts on this in the earlier blog post. Also, enjoy your Labor Day holiday.

Parents, you have great kids.  I have seen good manners and kind behavior in addition to good academic habits.  What a delightful group of fifth graders!  I am thrilled with our class.  It has been so fun for me to get to know each of them.